Forest of Reading
What's Forest of Reading?
- The Forest of Reading® is Canada’s largest recreational reading program! This initiative offers ten reading programs to encourage a love of reading in people of all ages. The Forest helps celebrate Canadian books, publishers, authors and illustrators.
- The Forest of Reading Award Programs are where children and young adults pick the winner! Readers choose a program that they would like to be a part of, usually based on their age or grade, and simply begin reading! They can read all ten of the titles, or pick and choose to read only the ones they are interested in. This program aims to encourage a genuine and life-long love of reading among readers of all ages.
Goals of the Forest of Reading
- Love of reading: Create a meaningful experience for your readers and give exciting opportunities for reluctant readers to become lifelong readers.
- A proven head start: The results are in! Children who read for fun have higher literacy scores, have more success in science and math, and are more socially and civically engaged (Reading for Joy, P4E, 2011).
- Libraries at centre stage: With fun activities, prizes and more, the Forest of Reading puts libraries at the heart of the action!
- Reading Canadian: Help support and celebrate Canadian books, publishers, authors and illustrators by taking advantage of the Forest’s curated, all-Canadian reading lists for all ages and levels.
Get Your Very Own Forest of Reading Booklet!- Coming Soon
- Read as many books as possible from the list of nominated titles
- Pick your favourite from the list
- Cast your vote online or at the library (the date of the last chance to vote is yet to be determined
Blue Spruce Passport - (JK-Grade 2, picture books)
Silver Birch Express Passport - (Grades 3-4, fiction, non-fiction)
Silver Birch Passport - (Grades 5-6, fiction)
Yellow Cedar Passport - (Grades 5-8, non-fiction)
Red Maple Passport - (Grades 7-8, fiction)
Coming in April 2024!