Material Recovery at PEPL
Even though Perth East Public Library not have fines for late items in our core collection it is still important to return items in a timely manner so they they may be enjoyed by other readers. Any library materials that are not returned after an extended period of time will be presumed lost and the replacement cost will be charged to your account.
Borrowing privileges are suspended when outstanding charges total $10 or more. Library accounts with fines of $50 or more may be sent to Unique Management Services (UMS) - a specialized materials recovery service for libraries. If your account is referred to UMS, an additional $12.95 service charge will be added to cover the costs associated with referring your account. Please not that this service charged will not be waived even if the items are returned.
If you believe you have been billed in error, or have any questions about UMS or PEPL's Material Recovery system please reach out to the library at any time.
How do over dues work?
You will receive a phone call, letter or email from the Library informing you that you have overdue items 7 days, 14 days, and 35 days after the due date. At 35 days overdue the item(s) are presumed lost and the outstanding materials and processing fines are billed to your account.
Once items are 56 days overdue, and if fines total $50 or more, your account may be sent to UMS.
Please note that for special collections—such as wifi hotspots, Express items, community passes and others—the notification timeline is shortened to 2 days, 9 days, and 16 days after the due date. These outstanding materials and processing fines are billed to your account at 16 days overdue. UMS would receive your account when these items are 37 days overdue.
Avoiding Lost Fees
The library has many options to help you stay up to date with your account. Here are some:
- Auto Renew program - this program will renew all eligible items up to three times
- Renewal in person at the service desk
- Renewal by phone by calling 519-595-8395
- Renewal by logging on to your BiblioCommons account. Simply log onto your account using your full library card number or username as your login, and the last four numbers of your telephone as your PIN.
- Return items (excluding board games and Tech items) after hours in our drop box. It is open 24/7
- Call or email the library anytime if you and we will do all we can to assist you
To lean more about our Fines Free policy and what items are now fines free visit our Fines Free page.
Unique Management Services (UMS), a specialized collection agency for libraries. UMS assists the Perth East Public Library in recovering long-overdue items and fines.
Unique Management Services is partners with over 1,500 libraries across Canada, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand to recover overdue materials and fees. UMS works exclusively with libraries and understands their special needs.
UMS contacts you through a series of letters and phone calls until library materials are returned or fines are paid in full:
- First letter notification
- Within 24 hours of UMS receiving your account from the Library
- First phone call
- 22 days after UMS receives your account (3 weeks after first letter notification)
- Second letter notification
- 43 days after UMS receives your account (3 weeks after first phone call)
- Second phone call
- 64 days after UMS receives your account (3 weeks after second letter notification)
- Third letter notification
- 85 days after UMS receives your account (3 weeks after second phone call). This is your final communication from UMS.
- Credit reporting
- 115 days after UMS receives your account (30 days after final letter)